Your Guide to Classic Homes and Historic Neighborhoods

Staten Island Real Estate, Neighborhood News and Discussions.


Rosebank,  Staten Island, NY– Convenient to Transportation  & Parks

Cultural Attractions and Open Space


Alice Austin House Museum

This charming house museum is located at 2 Hylan Blvd, along the shore, overlooking the Verrazano Bridge and New York Harbor. It is the former residence of  the Austen family and most notably, female photographer Alice Austen. Originally designed as a Dutch farmhouse, it was transformed into a Carpenter’s Gothic Cottage and called ‘Clear Comfort’ by the Austen family. It is a NY City Landmark, National Landmark and National Register Site. The Friends of Alice Austen House, Inc, manages the museum in partnership with NY City parks.




Garibaldi—Meucci Museum

Located at 420 Tompkins Avenue, Rosebank, is the historic home of the inventor, Antonio Meucci and the Italian Independence hero, Giuseppe Garibaldi . This museum features many  artifacts  and art associated with both former residents of this home. Cultural and educational program is provided promoting Italian heritage, language and relevant issues/arts.




Buono Beach– Formerly Penny  Beach

This small beach is located at the foot of Hylan Blvd and adjacent to Alice Austen House Museum and Park. It was formely called ‘Penny Beach’, maybe after pennies thrown into the ocean...It is currently named after local Vietnam Hero, Matthew Buono, ho was the 39th Staten Islander to die in the war.

Every May and June, horseshoe crabs emerge from the Narrows onto the Beach near Alice Austen Park.  It is also a wonderful location to take scenic photos of the harbor, bridge; to watch big and small boats.  A scene from ‘How to Lose A Guy in Ten Days ‘ with Kate Hudson was filmed here.


Reinhard E. Kaltenmeier  Playground at 33 Virginia Avenue, Rosebank, Staten Island is a 1 area park for the community, formerly called Rosebank Park. It was renamed after local city official and respected resident, who donated the property after his death.


Our Lady of Mount Carmel Grotto has been receiving pilgrims and others who appreciate its beauty and serenity since 1938.

For over 105-years the Feast of Our Lady of Mount Carmel Society has been  held every July with music, food and friendship. The religious shrine was started by Italian immigrants in the 1930s and has become a spiritual place for all. It is open 24 hours and open to the public. It is located 36 Amity Street , a dead-end street in Rosebank. It is on the NY and National Register of Historic Places since 2001.


A walking tour from Stapleton to Rosebank



The community of Rosebank is a  close-knit community, historically settled by Italian immigrants,  there is a recent wave of new immigrants relocating from Brooklyn and abroad. It is situated close to the Verrazano bridge , which is  convenient for anyone working in Brooklyn or visiting family. It is also a short drive to the SI Ferry; close to local and express buses and  the SI Rapid Transit at the nearby Clifton train station.


Bay street is the main shopping thoroughfare featuring a local stores, Supermarket, pharmacy, restaurants and local St. Mary’s Church and school. The Rosebank Post Office is located on nearby Tompkins Avenue , which also has pedestrian–friendly shopping with small businesses and  St. Joseph’s Church and school; local park and the Garibaldi-Meucci Museum. The local Firehouse is located nearby on Hylan Blvd; shopping on Lynhurst Ave/Tompkins Ave  and West Fingerboard Road.

Nearby is Fort Wadsworth, located on Bay street is a National Park. It offers amazing views of the NY Harbor, Verrazano Bridge and ships. Tour the fort during the day; take a Lantern tour in the evening or hike the  grounds all day long. Nearby Midland and South Beach can be reached along the shore or short dive/walk. An active U.S. Coast Guard base is adjacent to the park.

Chewing Gum and Staten Island


Wrigleys Chewing Gum Factory and Thomas Adams (1818-1905) - Founder of the chewing gum industry, later teamed up with William Wrigley Jr. Adams got the idea while working as secretary to the ex-dictator of Mexico, Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna. Santa Ana chewed a Mexican plant called chicle, which Adams first tried to make into rubber, but when that failed he added sugar to the chicle making the gum that would become known as Chiclets. Adams lived in West New Brighton in the 1860s and 1870s.